February 15, 2015

Half People

(Sorry, poor lighting. I'm no photographer. And Swedish February is no lighting...)


This little oil I finished now on the most heartless Valentine's imaginable, it follows Friday 13:th nicely. It measures some 8x8'' sans thick edges, is named "Half People" and it was tossed off in the middle of this still ongoing exchange of notes between me and this dreaded Ex who is currently learning the art of stalking, including harassing my friends. (She had better stop...) It adds one dimension, though, to the halfness and loneliness -- we are all lonely, in one way or another -- reminding me of an expression in Yiddish that I happen to know (from clarinettist Messrow's wonderful book) and it is: Sei a mensch. Behave like a human.


I try to do, despite having to exchange black spades whilst others exchange red hearts... There are hints of swallows on the side -- utterly impossible in a winter landscape -- and try to stay calm. Impossible too. Some people aren't even half.