January 30, 2022

Ballpointy Remarks


“This is the winter of our discontent…”

I see that I last January (2021) sketched a quite harsh overview of Sweden and its repressive ways – I still stand by it. Historical reasons and guesstimates aside, this Pandemic Anti-Culture Special has been fattened with new restrictions aimed, above all, against culture.

Go to shopping malls, not theatres.
Work, don't hang around in bars.
(Joy can't be taxed.)

So this recent happy little piece (ballpoint pen/Photoshop) originated from that. I saw a lot of that no go tape (whatever it’s called in Real English) the other day.

Another recent piece in the same vein -- I found a good piece of cardboard. More ballpoint, watercolour, no electricity.

Very little electricity in this one too (but I got my ratty cell phone to tint it nicely) – a Two-Faced Whale. Nice face up, of course, the way you’re taught and pruned to do.

If I had told my “deadsoul” that posh me would one day sulk and draw with ballpoint pens, feeling no will to do sticky oils (as it seems now) ever again, former soul would not have believed it. But it owns the directness and freshness (dare I say virginity? In a good non-incel way) of a sketch. I like the baseness, the cheapness that chimes so well with base and cheap times. What next? Petty acrylics? The medium that's yucky, sticky and dries in a few improductive zeptoseconds. -- You may look up zeptoseconds while I am closing the store. Wake me up in February – if, I say, if it’s any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment