June 10, 2013

Marine Art, Sort Of.

This time she didn't try to drown me. Otherwise, it's my favourite pasttime during the spare hours that I do not have to go out in Little Myy, the sailing nutshell. And Little Myy has had plenty of time buoyed in the harbour to scheme how to throw me in the lake. Last time, she tried to capsize when I raised the mainsail whilst sailing into the wind, which, I admit, was too strong really. (If you do that while running before the wind, you might end up just anywhere -- on a bank or running into the large sand barges, which is precisely what she wants.)



But on this day the entire lake lay still, a blank, just slightly bulging mirror. I had to row (got tired of waiting for wind) and a few nautical miles away from "Civilisation" I moored very gently in the reeds. 

They're very practical for this purpose. The trick is not getting too stuck in them. I began to sketch, 



...et voilà:

Click/Tap to resize.
(c)Joakim Ceder 2013.
Let's call it The Imaginary Castle of Färingsö, as this is the part of my little study (rather light, as the heat allowed) that isn't entirely real. I found the little manors and cottages dotting about afar in the most boring way, and ordered them to cling in one place: You should climb each other. Try to tower a bit...


Hm. That's better. Hold it there. 
 -- You should never care more about reality than reality cares about you.