August 19, 2013

Last-of-Summer Painting, part II


While the real summer left, there are plenty of echoes every other day. So I finished this ambivalent thing (part naïvism, part total disregard for reality – as there’s carelessness in the other direction too) in ambivalent weather; borrowing a garden when weather was fine and burrowing inside my skull when it rained.  



I haven’t bothered with a straight horizon. The Earth is round, and I’m sure that various animals that live in trees -- and others that live less horizontal lives -- perceive this arbitrary boundary between Heaven and Sea very differently. The little castle is an idea that I’ve borrowed from Dutch master M. C. Escher. It’s the one thing in this little oval that I’ve planned with care, straight lines and all, proving that straight lines are no less misleading than curves. We’re merely brought up into thinking so. (It’s one out of many notions in our general miseducation, Presuppositions 101.)  




Then I went a little lazy and gave the apples some quite vague connection with the ground (they might ripen very slowly, and if they fall at all they need not necessarily fall earthwards). And so I signed. Voilà. Now I’ll go and see if I should make more matting and framing for my September exhibition. Might have enough works already.