April 15, 2013

For Better and Worse

What I do is surreality. It is better than reality, worse than reality, more real than reality; by which I mean the tame and lame reality that we say that we live in and think that we control, despite all evidence to the contrary.

This week has found me spread out without any illusion of control. I am still painting on City Lights



There's a little on the bronze angel now, verdigris green and a little sky. One drop of paint every now and then, and I'll be done.  Or as my grandfather said: "Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force but by persistence." He persistently told me so. (I learn today that it is Ovid, really; gutta cavat lapidem. There you are.)

I am also trying to complete a video with my best and largest painting available; below you get a bite-size detail from DNA, or The Tree of Life...
(c) Joakim Ceder 2013


It is bristling with such details, made as it is to hang on a wall for years and decades of surprise and enjoyment, and this plethora can't be fitted into a few YouTube minutes really, but I'll do my best. I'll serve these hors d' oeuvres with music too, better and worse than real music, in accordance with what I said above...

(Last and perhaps least there's a little project named "Blues in Swedish", bringing this raw and hearty kind of entertainment to all too soft Scandinavian ears.) 

Next week, I am going to turn into an orderly, strict and businesslike person... No. It'll probably get worse. Cheers!